The end of the school year is the perfect opportunity to acknowledge the people who have played a role in educating your kids. Look for something easy, yet thoughtful and always with a handwritten note!
Gifts that are a hit:
- Get creative: Nothing beats personalization. Take a picture of your child and have her write something acknowledging what is great about the teacher and what the best part of the class was this year. Add a hand drawn picture and it’s sure to be worth more than 1000 words. If you want to take on a real end of the year treat, coordinate with other parents and create a book with one page for each child in the class.
- Have some fun: Remember that teachers also have lives outside of the classroom. Summer is a time for relaxing on the beach. So what about monogrammed beach towels or a fun summer tote? (Lands’ End has a few options for beach towels and beach totes). Add a Barnes and Noble gift card to complete the package. Want something smaller? How about cute luggage tags for the upcoming summer vacation? Several websites offer the option to create custom tags.
- Out on the town: Concerts, shows, a gift certificate for a nice restaurant or even tickets to the movies are a nice treat for anyone at any time!
- Time to relax: Spa gift certificates for a massage or manicure are always great. A little pampering can go a long way.
- Practical is not boring: If you’re not sure what to get, it’s perfectly fine to get a gift card so that the teacher can pick out exactly what she likes. An AMEX or Visa gift card is just like giving cash . . . and who doesn’t appreciate that? You can get a little personal with gift cards from iTunes for a music lover or Starbucks for a a coffee connoisseur. But also remember that Amazon has just about everything anyone could want.
- Make it personal: Incorporate something that your kids studied this year and come up with a gift that fits with that theme. It will show the teacher that your child was paying attention and actually learned something in class. And knowing that they made a difference is the ultimate reward for any teacher.
In case you missed our blog post about How to Give the Perfect Last Minute Gift, take a look now. It was written for the holidays, but a lot of the same ideas apply to choosing any gift – teachers included!