It’s been a snowy winter and flights have been cancelled or postponed left and right. One way to avoid the frustration of being stranded in an airport is to prepare for it. If you’re prepared to be sitting around an airport terminal for hours on end and your flight is on time – that’s just a bonus. Here are some tips for how to make the most of being stranded in an airport.
1. Tell yourself that you are choosing to spend an afternoon in the airport. Think really hard about what you would be doing on a lazy day in your own home. Reading? Sleeping? Drinking? Shopping? It’s all right there!
2. People watch. The diversity is amazing.
3. Look at it as some much needed downtime vs. being stranded- everyone thinks you’re traveling and your phone and email may just be quiet.
4. See at it as a new place to meet people. You never know who is sitting right next to you.
5. Shop – why not take advantage of some duty-free purchases?
6. Bring a change of clothes that can double as a workout outfit in your carry on and if you’re really stuck for an extended period of time go into the city and find gym – some airports even have these too!
7. Pay a few extra dollars and check in at one of the airlines executive clubs – it’s not much more than the price you’ll pay for lunch and they usually are a bit more comfortable and have complimentary snacks.
8. Pamper yourself – many airports now have small spas with services like massages and manicures. If there was ever a time to treat yourself to this kind of luxury, now is it.
9. Practice meditating. It’s been on your list to try it so why not start now? Find a quiet corner, sit and just be. With the added challenge of a busy airport, it will make meditating in a quiet place back at home seem easy.
10. Update your to do list. It’s a great time to make a plan of action. You’ll have so much time on your hands you’re guaranteed to think of everything. With enough time you can even get going on some of your items!
Remember that airports are designed to help you kill time. Everything you need is right there at your fingertips so go explore! Any tricks of our own? We’d love to hear!